Sunday, July 28, 2013

Disasters in the Garden

Here is the worlds smallest pumpkin.  My pumpkin plants did really well but for some reason only one pumpkin actually survived to adult hood, but mine seems to be midget size.  It is the size of a
cantaloupe.

 
 Deer! Deer! Deer!  It seems there is a whole herd that lives at the farm although I have never seen them.  Not only do they appears to be very hungry they are very stealthy.  This is what okra looks like after dinner for a deer.


Before dinner time!



So I went in and did my home work on the internet and it appears not much deters deer, so I got desperate.  I read that deer do not like foliage that smells so it said to hang a bar of Irish Spring soap from the plants and it would keep the deer away.  Well, we hung 12 bars in the orka and guess what....they were full of crap.  The deer not only kept eating, but started pulling up the plants.  Lesson, if it sounds stupid it probably is.  But after the rain, I have the cleanest garden within a hundred miles and it does smell good.



Our corn was the next disaster.  We did have a few good ears of corn, but many looked like the first picture.  It would have been great if you only had 4 teeth in your mouth, it would be plenty of corn.

 


 

 



No comments: